Thursday, April 23, 2015

Discards L 914.5 H57 1984 - HQ 1236 W455 1991

Last week I thought about Amy as I went through collecting the discards from the education section. This week I thought a lot about Carol as I went through the government information and legal resources section (JK is in this range, which I love because it's like "You wanna talk about state constitutions? JK 18 C7i -- just kidding bro!").




Truly truly all the things on this cart can go, and today is especially monumental because the mofo'ing Barclay's Official California Code of Regulations (Title 5, Education) is on this cart, and these dang binders were the bane of my existence when I had to do loose leaf filing. (Although I admire the mending job I did on the binders' hinges back in the day.) Indeed I mourn the transition from print reference sources, but I will NEVER miss filing loose leafs. Hallelujah!




I was surprised that we are getting rid of this one, just because the graphic design of the cover still occurs to me as decidedly current/teens (as in two-thousand-fifteen). It's from 1994!



Also I found a good example of how the UV rays from fluorescent lights bleach the color out of paper. This pink flag has been in this book for about 2 years, and look at the difference between the part that was exposed and that part that was inside the text block. (hashtag preservation lol)



I did have a heavy moment of reverie while working in the HVs, remembering that speech on methamphetamine I did for public speaking sophomore year. Sherise was working that Saturday, and even though I had used my 1+ years of library experience to search the catalog, I hadn't been able to find the sources I needed. She showed me this very section of the Reference Stacks, where the Encyclopedia of drugs, alcohol, & addictive behavior was and still is shelved. Here I sat, 12.5 years later, in the same place, with the same wonder on the topic, gripped with a mild mania that soon it would be all gone, that this familiar location would be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment