Monday, April 6, 2015

Discards PE 1630 - LB 2337

The call numbers are backwards because I am moving through the Reference Stacks backwards. This cart took me a long time to put together because I was away for a week at ACRL and then last week was short due to the Easter Holiday. It also took me a long time because whatever student worker(s) worked on this 2 years ago did a bad job -- the books with pink flags on the shelf were not the books with pink flags on the list. Lastly, this is the first cart that is made of a bunch of individual titles for some time now. I got too used to pulling the huge multivolume sets.

This cart covers dictionaries, art books, and education (college directories and financial aid indexes).

TBQH I am a bit surprised we are getting rid of the 3 volumes of Oxford English Dictionary Additions Series (but we are keeping our other OED sets) but I am not going to ask about it because it definitely has a pink tag and because it was on the list that was reviewed. Another dictionary type reference source we are getting rid of is 12,000 Words, A Supplement to Webster's Third New International Dictionary and Dictionary of Difficult Words, whose aim (in addition) is to "show how a word is pronounced by the majority of educated persons rather than how it should be pronounced."

I considered requesting these dictionaries for my personal library if they are not sold or claimed to another library in our withdrawal process, but then I thought of all the stacks of books I fret over when I am cleaning my apartment.

Most of the scholarship and financial aid directories are very outdated (seems like 1997 was a big year for adding to that part of the collection), so it makes sense to get rid of them. I know most of that stuff is online now, but it still seems a pity that we didn't get 2015 editions of them. It reminds me of a product pitched on Shark Tank -- an app that searches for scholarships based on criteria. What if the library could pay for that app for anyone who would have used the print book? Funny to think traditional library collections are not just being outwitted by the internet and ebooks, but also APPS.




No comments:

Post a Comment